Government House in Victoria BC is located right up the street from Fairholme Manor Bed and Breakfast.
In 1865, Cary Castle was acquired by Governor A. Kennedy as the official residence of the Governor of Vancouver Island and was completed by October of that same year. On July 20, 1871, British Columbia entered Confederation, and Cary Castle became Government House, the official residence of the Lieutenant Governor of the Province of British Columbia. In May 1899 Cary Castle and its contents were completely destroyed by fire. Francis Rattenbury and Samuel Maclure were given the task and completed the new Government House in 1903. In 1957, Government House burned to the ground yet again. In 1959 it reopened with a more contemporary exterior and an interior design that closely matched the Rattenbury-Maclure design.
Government House is a three story building in the shape of a T.It is made framed steel-reinforced concrete capped in grey, blue and pink rock-faced British Columbia granite. The stone sills and coping are local Haddington Island stone. The terraces and balconies are done in black Jervis Inlet slate.
The Government House Foundation was set up in 1987 by former Lieutenant Governor, the Honourable Robert G. Rogers, with the help of the BC Provincial Government. The foundation receives funds donated to a trust account to help manage and promote Government House as well as receiving gifts to be displayed within the house.
The address is 1401 Rockland Avenue in Victoria. Transit buses #11 and #14 stop on Fort Street at Joan Crescent, two blocks from Government House. Parking is available. With some exceptions, the grounds are open to the public daily from dawn till dusk,and admission is free. Tours of the Gardens and house are well worthwhile.